Thursday, February 08, 2007

Blogging, an art (?)

There you go. A new face to my blog. Change is good, change can be surprising. As I was altering my template, Arpz commented on this new look. She feels this one doesn't go with me. Maybe she is right. It might seem to have too much of a make-over, but I have tried to keep it simple. So Arpz, if you still think it doesn't go with my personality, I promise to write it on a notepad and drag that page onto here ;)

I don't exactly remember how and when did I start blogging. Interestingly, I don't even remember why. I do remember that my first blog was on rediff, the password of which I have absolutely no clue of, thus making it vanish into the world wide web.
I anchored my ship on blogger and since then I have come across numerous blogs. The experiences have been overwhelming. A word is not the same with one writer as with another. One tears it from his guts. The other pulls it out of his overcoat pocket.

There are writers who brace blog-o-sphere to vent out their frustration, to pen down the agony they face in their everyday life, so much so that they seem to think that they are the only one born on this earth with ill fortune. They practically have nothing to write. All they do is sit in front of their computer, split open their vein and type the self inflicted pain. Their blog will be filled with poetries and quotes obtained after typing a search, "Sad quotes" or "Sad poems" on Google. Ofcourse, while doing copy-paste of that stuff, we have Rajesh Khanna singing 'Zindagi Ka Safar' in the background.

Then there are people who just like talking to themselves. I mean, they write in a language which only they can understand. There are two windows open. One of them shows blogger, the other dictionary.com or thesaurus.com. The role of such writers is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say. All the sentences have to be in passive voice.
"I woke up this morning and looked out of my window. It was a dull day, with snow coming down and streets frozen with ice".
Would become.......
"I bestirred this Ante Meridiem (AM), ogling out the pane. Arctic byways and glaciating rain spawned an addled time".

Some writers are good with words. But the presentation takes a hike. I might not know about the cool features other blogging websites provide, but blogger does seem to be generous in this aspect. The colors are yours for the taking and hence the combinations end up getting jacked-up. There are blogs with dark backgrounds, something like brown or navy blue, and the font is dark green. What are you guys? Jeetendra?
Then there are blogs with a dark blue background, the writing ending up in florescent colors. I read such blogs and look away from my computer and I see dark spots.
Some blogs are multicolored. Kudos to them but a big no-no to the sense of colors. You have purple, green, orange, pink (uff!), all sloshed together to create the world's worst potpourri ever.

For a blogger, writing is not an art. It is a
socially acceptable form of schizophrenia. You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you. And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.
Most of us blog to lay the building block of our writing career. For some it is an hobby. For some it becomes a process of discovery that they couldn't wait to get to work in the morning.
To me, the greatest pleasure of writing is not what it's about, but the inner music the words make.

The beauty of reading a blog is in knowing about the person without talking to him.
When we see a natural style we are quite amazed and delighted, because we expected to see an author and find a man.

Disclaimer: The blog examples written are entirely coincidental if you happen to be one of those.

5 comments:

Sakshi said...

To me, the greatest pleasure of writing is not what it's about, but the inner music the words make.
Ditto.
I think I am going to put a post in the same vein ...

I love blogging mostly because it has intorduced me to so many cool people, with whom I bounce off ideas and grow emotionally. To me it is expression of self - so the skin does not matter as long as content is there .. but you are right dark color templates make my eyes hurt.
Once again, lovely template.

Delphic said...

I would love to read your take on this.

Thanks again for appreciating the template.

arpana said...

wow! great post! maybe I'll write about this too :)

fpr said...

What's with the disclaimer dude? So unnecessary!

Blogging in passive voice is so me!
Blogging in a way I express & understand myself best, not caring a tiny rat's ass about others' comprehension is also me!

Thesaurus open in another window? umm..well...that sounds more like the author of A Necromantic Clover (Tuesday, January 16, 2007) :))
Btw, word-of-the-day is more me :P

Opinion/ Free-Unwanted Advice on new template: The new Beta has no sense of esthetics for the sidebar...it needs a more polished touch from you.

words, wisdom, wastage...happy blogging!

Delphic said...

Arpz,
I am sure you would write even better.

fpr,
I told you it is co-incidental. I understand your passive voice all the time. Although, it might be different from what you intended it to be, still I understand, albeit differently, than nothing at all.
The author of Necromantic Clover was too high on dope that day. Such posts are usually an illusion caused by the deficiency of weed.
Not an IT guy. Can't do more about the webpage :(

Now you know what the www on my website would stand for.....words wisdom wastage....